Quantcast

[Moo] My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

12

[Moo] My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

utan
Can't get my head to learn the Jquery way.
Mootools' way.

 var foodiv = $('foodiv');

 var div = new Element('div' , {
       id : 'someid'
    }).inject(foodiv);

to Jquery's

jQuery('<div/>', {
    id: 'foo'
}).appendTo('#mySelector');

Why mootools had to die?.. I am so disappointed ..

sorry just frustrated trying to learn something that goes against what I have learned the right way.

Re: [Moo] My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Sanford Whiteman
I'm with you completely. I always demo with MooTools to try to show
people who've never seen something so clean what else is out there.
But at this point they actually perceive it as hard-to-read because
it's "different." Even people that are real OO (.NET) people somehow
can handle reading/writing jQ now.

I dunno.

-- S.

Re: [Moo] My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Sitthykun
I stay with you too

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Sanford Whiteman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm with you completely. I always demo with MooTools to try to show
people who've never seen something so clean what else is out there.
But at this point they actually perceive it as hard-to-read because
it's "different." Even people that are real OO (.NET) people somehow
can handle reading/writing jQ now.

I dunno.

-- S.

Sitthykun LY
a little developer in the big world \o/
mobile: +85595 7788 39
skype: cityx9
twitter: sitthykun <http://twitter.com/sitthykun>
site: niyum.com

Re: [Moo] My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Oskar Krawczyk
You're not the only one.

I've spent the last two years building Positionly.com in MooTools, and the day that I'll have to migrate tens of thousands lines of code to jQuery is getting closer and closer - Disclaimer: I'm a die-hard MooTooler since it was called MooFx.

It's been a good ride, I still believe MooTools was the best in its time.

Oskar

On Aug 10, 2013, at 9:31 AM, ghazal <[hidden email]> wrote:

+++1

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 5:19:09 AM UTC+2, utan wrote:
Can't get my head to learn the Jquery way.
Mootools' way.

 var foodiv = $('foodiv');

 var div = new Element('div' , {
       id : 'someid'
    }).inject(foodiv);

to Jquery's

jQuery('<div/>', {
    id: 'foo'
}).appendTo('#mySelector');

Why mootools had to die?.. I am so disappointed ..

sorry just frustrated trying to learn something that goes against what I have learned the right way.

[Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

utan
@blacidito,

Unfortunately it seems so, they are working in something else called Prime for Node.js and development of Mootools has stopped , check github and you will see what I am talking about.

[Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Garrick
While Prime is written with CommonJS pattern, it is by no means Node.JS only. It is usable in the browser too!... With a minor build process or browser module loader like Requirejs.

While it seems that MooTools-Core dev has stopped, it's because of the focus towards creating smaller modular components. These smaller components could/would/should be the building blocks of frameworks.

With this in mind, I've thought of MooTools-Core refactored with these new components. So far, it's just a thought.

Re: [Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Tim Wienk
What Garrick said, plus: MooTools Core is meant to stay just a "core".
Developing it doesn't mean just adding features, Core is still being
supported.

I personally think that, what should happen, is a Core-compatible
Prime+elements+moofx+others project. That way, everyone using MooTools
Core can still benefit from the new things that happen for Prime.
Garrick, we should definetally talk. :-P

On 10 August 2013 21:26, Garrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While Prime is written with CommonJS pattern, it is by no means Node.JS only. It is usable in the browser too!... With a minor build process or browser module loader like Requirejs.
>
> While it seems that MooTools-Core dev has stopped, it's because of the focus towards creating smaller modular components. These smaller components could/would/should be the building blocks of frameworks.
>
> With this in mind, I've thought of MooTools-Core refactored with these new components. So far, it's just a thought.
>
> --
>
> ---

[Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

utan
@Tim Wienk,

I know still supported but splitting a project to start something new is not a good idea and always end up leaving the previous one alone to die,
If it were to say that they are making kind of plugins to be used with Mootools core then I would say they will keep alive.. or that Prime will use of
Mootools Core well that will be good but not they aren't doing that.

What's the matter with mootools as it is? it's just because doesn't have the bunch of supporters Jquery has? as it stand Mootools is rock solid why start
some other project when this is so good to keep and to improve..
If it were because they extended  the prototype the reason to leave the code alone is a bad idea, why not just stopping extending the prototype in latter
versions of Mootools,
what's the matter with mootools as it is?

This is me , just trowing my frustrations.. nothing against anyone.

Re: [Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

nwhite-2
Mootools made the Internet a better place. Providing sane shims for browsers and a super elegant API. It improved upon many things and ultimately frameworks like jquery are better as a result of Mootools.

It's not so much about Mootools is dead or people don't care. Things have evolved rapidity. One of the biggest paradigm shifts is extending the native prototype. The world at large has considered this evil. This leaves  Mootools in a precarious position and no you cant just change it without changing the interface. things like selector engines that were really important a few years ago just don't matter anymore. The trend is micro frameworks. There isn't anything that stops you from using the patterns or Apis in your own code.

The beauty is we have gained so much more. We can use libraries like modernizer without having to implement the cruft into frameworks.

Code becomes cleaner... Smaller.

Right now I'm in the process of porting old Mootools code to something new. The way I'm achieving this is by using the component.io builder. There is a lot of code already in that ecosystem that won't make a Mootools developer shiver. Lots of it is lower level like component/dom. But there are some magical things like model and reactive for elegant two way data binding. So much richness. Npm packages like "async", "moment", "is" are all aready componentfied for the browser. It's super easy to fork, deploy and manage in your own production environment.

The thing is everything is moving so fast, Mootools isn't. Take the code, inspiration and ideas and pass them on to the next gen of dev.

Stand on the shoulder of giants.

On Aug 10, 2013, at 6:55 PM, utan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

nutron
Another way to look at this is that as an open source project, MooTools wasn't that good. MooTools has excellent code. Still better than a lot of frameworks out there. But the people who wrote most of it focused on that rather than the process of writing that code. The process of recruiting new developers and democratizing the power to change the project. So when all the main developers got hired away to places that didn't pay them to continue developing the project (Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, and many others) and/or they had families and less time to work on things etc. Because we didn't spend our time giving the keys to the project to others, there's no one left actively working on the project.

As Nathan points out, the world moved on. MooTools itself isn't that interesting anymore; one could argue that it solved the problem it set out to solve and works great. I still use it and there's nothing wrong with it. I still actively push to my behavior (github.com/anutron/behavior) and MooTools Bootstrap (github.com/anutron/mootools-bootstrap) branches all the time. But is it interesting work? Not especially. The need that MooTools filled in 2006 just doesn't exist anymore. There's a giant ecosystem of solutions for various needs out there. There's no reason to focus on monolithic solutions.

So both these things are true. MooTools itself is lacking new blood to fill in where the old has moved on, and the world changed such that putting a bunch of effort into MooTools itself just doesn't make a lot of sense.

-a

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Nathan White <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@Nutron,

 So because jQuery's main devs passed the project to a new blood it still alive and thriving? and because its modular and its well thought and easy to learn..?

 what am I missing? what happens is that some big companies back them up and they were good moving their assets why Mootools devs lacked on those fields..

 They keep maintaining it because it gives them money that's all is not because is an old monolithic framework hell it's so damn good..
Compared to jQuery all the good things die because their creators are so greedy to let others command and then what? people that loved and learned from it
end up messed up because they  didn't learn  raw javacript but learned from a framework and they need to learn from a mediocre  framework like jQuery..
the hell with this..

Re: [Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Sanford Whiteman
> MooTools itself isn't that interesting anymore

Show MooTools code to a jQiddie who's never seen it before, but who is
actually proficient at OO, and I guarantee they'll find it
_interesting_. They won't both learning it because it won't get them
hired, but that's just self-interest. MooTools will remain like any
niche- and or dead-but-better language/dialect. You don't look at
SmallTalk and go, "Oh, nothing cool about that, now that jQuery is in
the house."

In fact I think it is every bit as interesting as ever, it just never
reached enough people who were _already developers_. It will still be
interesting 10 years from now when jQ's market power makes ECMAScript
itself slide toward jQ-style ugliness.

Despite others' attempts to be diplomatic, jQ sucks. It may be the
worst, well, "thing" in IT I've ever seen. A little more hate thrown
its way instead of diplomacy and we'd be in better shape now. Remember
attacks on VB 6.0, "If you ever code professionally in VB you'll never
get better"? That didn't kill VB, but it made sure the lanes were open
for new languages. And VB was 100x better than jQ..

-- S.

Re: [Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

nutron
Utan, I'll put it to you another way (something I've said here and elsewhere before). Apache has created a model for developing open source software that lasts and works. Ask the people working on those projects and they'll tell you that the projects, especially the popular ones, are both chaotic and have a lot of bureaucracy. But they last. Here's the order of their priorities:

   1. Empower the community, both the developers and the users (see http://communityovercode.com/).
   2. Make it predictable; roadmaps and clear upgrade paths are mandatory
   3. Make it easy to learn and use
   4. Make the code good

MooTools, for better AND for worse, had these exact priorities reversed. The core team focused primarily on making really, really good code. It's why the codebase is so amazingly consistent and beautiful. They spent some effort making it easy to learn (so long as you actually knew how to program JavaScript; not a requirement for jQuery), but spent way less time communicating with the team and the community about what was coming next and what the priorities were. Finally, very little time was spent talking to the community. Blog posts are rare, but it was almost never the case that core developers were hanging out here. That's ok to a certain degree, but it meant that recruiting was not a priority. Adoption of the technology was not the goal of the dev team; beautiful code was (and it shows).

So Dojo got in with IBM and jQuery started having conferences and YUI is, well, Yahoo, and so on. jQuery in particular is exceptional at both outreach and recruiting - so much so that its main creator no longer contributes to it (https://github.com/jquery/jquery/contributors). This was always something the MooTools team struggled with as its main contributors spent all their time coding.

With MooTools, if the main contributor doesn't contribute to it, it doesn't move forward. This isn't his fault or anyone's fault. It's just an example of how the goals are different. jQuery always cared about having lots of people use jQuery. It shows in everything they do (and kudos to them; they made JavaScript popular and made the web a better place).

So fast forward a few years and what do you have? You have a lot of people working on jQuery and the core MooTools team has moved on. Had kids, gotten jobs that are demanding, and this open source thing is just not their main priority anymore. And so it languishes.

If the MooTools community really wanted the framework to move forward they could do it. Just go fork the thing and start writing code. It's all there on github and there's lots of stuff you can do to make it better and more interesting. Don't wait around for someone who made something interesting 6 years ago to do it for you. They're off doing their own interesting things and you should be happy for them. It's your turn to pay it forward.

-a

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM, utan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This highlights another example of having the priorities backwards in order to have a long-lasting open source product.

MooTools focused on making a solid product for front-end developers. At the time, in 2006, this was a rare thing indeed. There were (and are) legions of people making things on the web though. Designers and tinkerers and, just as importantly, developers who DO know how to code but just don't care about JavaScript - the UI is just the thing in front of their server-side code and they don't want to muck around with it - they just want a calendar picker on their form, not a new language to learn. jQuery's potential audience was massive, while MooTools, by it's very definition, was very small.

When I say that MooTools' code isn't very interesting, I mean that it solved the problems it came to solve (quite elegantly - I love MooTools! I still use it!), but that it's no longer innovative. Other JavaScript solutions exist that use a lot of the same basic methods. Maybe it's not as clean, but that's fine. But to put it another way, if MooTools were to relaunch it self - or just launch today as if it had never been - would it stand out? What market would it serve that isn't already served? What audience could it attract in today's market place?

FWIW, http://jqueryvsmootools.com/ is still pretty accurate despite being 4 years old! It still gets 5K hits a month!

-a

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Aaron Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You need to be a developer to learn mootools?
i am a noob when it comes to programing let alone know oop language, but for me mootools showed me it wasnt that difficult, I am 35 years old with 2 kids started learning about 2 years ago myself and what google would bring me.
Decided to learn a bit Prototype framework and guess what died too. The read that best patterns is oop and u agree although i dont understand it complete.. hell i dont understand more advanced stuff of mootools.. if i dont writte as oop way like mootools it feels so weird.
No i am not developer i have only made a chat using node and socket.io thats all the background i have in programming i have not much time to spend in learning more deeply because  i got to bring food to my family.. so bottom line mootools wasnt for only profecient developers but for everybody.

Re: [Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

nutron
You don't have to be a developer already, but you have to want to learn JavaScript. There are (or at least were) way fewer people out there who just want a slideshow to work on their site than to write abstract, reusable, maintainable code.

Kudos to you for diving in to the harder stuff.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM, utan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You may not even realize it, but you had to become a better raw JS
developer to get MooTools, and it's to your credit that you didn't
flinch.

I didn't mean to imply that only experienced devs could learn
MooTools, but rather that that was the group most vital for publicity
because they would be likely to go, "Hey, this is like my other OO
environments," shout it out, and be taken most seriously. If you love
Moo, it's probably because you're a natural developer despite starting
"late" (I was a systems guy for a long time myself). But the truth is
you aren't the best endorsements -- what Moo needs is the senior Java,
.NET, Ruby, or PHP (OO only) guy. Too bad my senior-level friends sold
out to the jQ man because it's all over MSDN... and they don't respect
JS enough to care (this is another core problem).

I return for the nth tme to people that list "intermediate jQ
developer" on their resumes and don't even know what the DOM is. I
don't think you could be that stupid and be able to use Moo. Of
course, those people aren't actually that good at jQ, either. It just
breeds people who don't know the diff between proficiency and use --
people who don't doubt themselses. The best developers never think
they're on top.

-- S.

[Moo] Re: My will won't let me switch from mootools to Jquery

Rich Lloyd
I've been using MooTools for the last few years now, love it, I've only just discovered and signed up to this group to read that MooTools will be no more.

As an experienced developer, MooTools is perfect for the fluid interactive user interfaces I produce. Hate it that so many developers see the UI as a skin to the back end and resort to jQuery, I also hate seeing more and more of new era 'front end' developers (they all seem to use jQuery as if it's cool) who copy and past code to get things to work, it doesn't work, so they constantly ask for help, yet still charge a full day rate. (Sorry mini rant)

My question is, what do we do?  People are saying the MooTools core will remain supported, but will it? What are the alternatives? I have just started a massive project and I'm at a fork in the road, do I stick with MooTools (which I've already started the project in), or do I start using a new more modern technology that will be supported in years to come?

Been coding for over 20 years, I'm happy to pick up new technology and run with it, that's not a problem, but I want to know what's new that MooTools can't offer?

Should this be a new post?