Quantcast

[Moo] Mootools Prime

12

[Moo] Mootools Prime

adidi
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

Arian Stolwijk-2
You can read documentation here: https://github.com/mootools/prime/blob/master/doc/prime.md

More links:

Basically the last step is create some kind of website, which is still a little todo (if you think you can do something about this, please ping us on IRC), before releasing any "official" betas.

You can also find all those packages on npm, which are tagged and usable.

All those packages are using commonjs modules, like node.js does. That means you can install and require them like any other node package on npm. Of course not all packages, like elements, work in node.js. To get those to work in the browser, wrapup is used to build a JS file that is usable in the browser.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM, adidi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

Lee Goddard
Is 'prime' meant to replace MooTools?

Does this mean that dedevelopment of MooTools will stop in favour of
'prime', or will the two co-exist?

One other question: how interoperable is 'prime' intended to be with the
ubiquitous (and imo ugly) jQuery?

TIA

    Lee

On 21/01/2013 19:58, Arian Stolwijk wrote:

> You can read documentation here:
> https://github.com/mootools/prime/blob/master/doc/prime.md
>
> More links:
> https://github.com/mootools/elements
> https://github.com/mootools/wrapup
> https://github.com/kamicane/moofx
> https://github.com/kamicane/agent
> https://github.com/kamicane/slick
> https://github.com/arian/prime-util
> https://github.com/arian/elements-util
> https://github.com/arian/elements-ui
> https://github.com/arian/wrapup-webbuilder
>
> Basically the last step is create some kind of website, which is still
> a little todo (if you think you can do something about this, please
> ping us on IRC), before releasing any "official" betas.
>
> You can also find all those packages on npm, which are tagged and usable.
>
> All those packages are using commonjs modules, like node.js does. That
> means you can install and require them like any other node package on
> npm. Of course not all packages, like elements, work in node.js. To
> get those to work in the browser, wrapup is used to build a JS file
> that is usable in the browser.
>

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM, adidi <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
>     As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of
>     work ?
>
>     Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is
>     empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

Arian Stolwijk-2
Currently the MooTools Project consists mainly of MooTools-Core and MooTools-More. Basically two projects under the MooTools umbrella by MooTools developers. It just happens that more depends on core.

Prime and friends will be added to this, alongside mootools-core, to the MooTools Project. It just doesn't use mootools-core.
This means that it will not directly replace MooTools Core or MooTools More. To stop development of those projects would be bad because there isn't an easy upgrade path. Prime is basically an entire new project.

The reason we add new projects, instead of making a MooTools 2.0 that you can upgrade from, is that there are a few key concepts different, that wouldn't be possible using something like MooTools 1.x:

- Not extending natives (you can, if you want, with some extra code, but prime also provides a "chain" function).
- Doesn't "polute" the global object at all
- Uses commonjs/node modules
- Does not use Element.prototype, but uses a slim element wrapper
- Moofx is CSS3 transitions based, with JS fallback. This wouldn't fit in the Fx.* API.

Because of some of these features, like not extending natives, doesn't put anything in the global object, it can basically work fine with anything, and doesn't collide with other code, like jQuery, MooTools or Prototype. For example in some project I just use MooTools Core, which still works perfectly, together with moofx3 for animations.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM, adidi <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
    As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of
    work ?

    Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is
    empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

adidi
When you say it will not polute the global scope u mean except for one or 2 objects which will have to be bind the window global no ?
like "exports"(which is nodejs reserve word) and "mootools" or "prime" ?

And about the commonjs/node modules - will you use also the bad practice imo of "require" ? which loads js dynamically ?

And one last question, the only hold back from the beta release is the site you mentioned in the previous post ? Do you have any dates for it ?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM, adidi <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="YVuQ7SUUAP8J">adi...@... <mailto:<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="YVuQ7SUUAP8J">adi...@...>> wrote:

    Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
    As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of
    work ?

    Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is
    empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

Arian Stolwijk-2
When you say it will not polute the global scope u mean except for one or 2 objects which will have to be bind the window global no ?
like "exports"(which is nodejs reserve word) and "mootools" or "prime" ?

Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: depends how you convert the modules to the browser. Usually with wrapup or browserify. With wrapup you can choose to export to the global scope, or another object.
However if your main.js contains a domready, and that main.js requires everything else, you don't need any globals!

And one last question, the only hold back from the beta release is the site you mentioned in the previous post ? Do you have any dates for it ?

Once it's done.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM, adidi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanksfor the info. It's looking good, I hope it gets plenty of support.

On 23/01/2013 15:52, Arian Stolwijk wrote:

> [...]
>         "official" betas.
>
>         You can also find all those packages on npm, which are tagged
>         and usable.
>
>         All those packages are using commonjs modules, like node.js
>         does. That means you can install and require them like any
>         other node package on npm. Of course not all packages, like
>         elements, work in node.js. To get those to work in the
>         browser, wrapup is used to build a JS file that is usable in
>         the browser.
>

>         On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM, adidi <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>             Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime"
>         (mootools 2.0) ?
>             As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js
>         mode of
>             work ?
>
>             Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides

Re: [Moo] Mootools Prime

dukeofgaming
So, for making "classes", what is the ideal thing to use here?: prime or Class?

"prime" seems to supersede "Class", so in a sense, MooTools Prime seems to overthrow MooTools Core. The question now is who of these two mootools projects get the attention by the core developers?

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:52:57 AM UTC-6, Arian Stolwijk wrote:
[...]

Pietro Gregorini
Il giorno lunedì 21 gennaio 2013 19:58:39 UTC+1, Arian Stolwijk ha scritto:

Basically the last step is create some kind of website, which is still a little todo (if you think you can do something about this, please ping us on IRC), before releasing any "official" betas.

If you need some webdesign support for the new website, I could collaborate.
Let me know.

[Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

pixel67
link is broken on Prime website to download prime ?

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:40:36 PM UTC-5, adidi wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

Sitthykun
It works on Github

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM, pixel67 <[hidden email]> wrote:
link is broken on Prime website to download prime ?

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:40:36 PM UTC-5, adidi wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Sitthykun LY
a little developer in the big world \o/
mobile: +85595 7788 39
skype: cityx9
twitter: sitthykun <http://twitter.com/sitthykun>
site: niyum.com

Re: [Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

pixel67
Not for me, I can't clone it????

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Sitthykun LY <[hidden email]> wrote:
It works on Github

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM, pixel67 <[hidden email]> wrote:
link is broken on Prime website to download prime ?

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:40:36 PM UTC-5, adidi wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Sitthykun LY
a little developer in the big world \o/
mobile: <a href="tel:%2B85595%207788%2039" value="+85595778839" target="_blank">+85595 7788 39
skype: cityx9
twitter: sitthykun <http://twitter.com/sitthykun>
site: niyum.com

Sincerely,

Tony Brown

Re: [Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

Arian Stolwijk-2
http://mootools.net/test/prime/ is a WIP, so it's not ready yet, it needs some design love, further content and for download we want to use https://github.com/arian/wrapup-webbuilder

For now: "npm install prime" + wrapup (if you want to use it in a browser). Somewhere in this group I explained how you can get started.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM, pixel67 <[hidden email]> wrote:
link is broken on Prime website to download prime ?

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:40:36 PM UTC-5, adidi wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Re: [Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

pixel67
Okay it just started working for me, thanks
I feel dumb, I was tweeting about prime this morning

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Arian Stolwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://mootools.net/test/prime/ is a WIP, so it's not ready yet, it needs some design love, further content and for download we want to use https://github.com/arian/wrapup-webbuilder

For now: "npm install prime" + wrapup (if you want to use it in a browser). Somewhere in this group I explained how you can get started.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM, pixel67 <[hidden email]> wrote:
link is broken on Prime website to download prime ?

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:40:36 PM UTC-5, adidi wrote:
Can we get any news about the long awaited "prime" (mootools 2.0) ?
As I understand it will work with conjunction to Node.js mode of work ?

Is there any timeframe ? something to read besides github(which is empty in description)

Sincerely,

Tony Brown

Re: [Moo] Re: Mootools Prime

pixel67