[Moo] Building the new MooTools website

Tor

[Moo] Building the new MooTools website

Tor
Hi all

I've been stuggling to build the new MooTools website (https://github.com/mootools/website) on my Windows machine.

I'm making this thread because I want help but also so that anyone else who might to want to do the same thing can find information about it.

I'm having a hunch that my problems are Windows related but if someone is running the website on a Windows box and haven't had the problems I'm having please reply so that I can rule that out.

Tor

Tor

[Moo] Re: Building the new MooTools website

Tor
I've now gotten so far as to calling...

   node build/all

but I'm now getting ...

   TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined

on the line ...

   var data = JSON.parse(parts[0]);

because the line ...

   var parts = splitMetaData(file.md);

returns undefined.

I'm thinking this is where markdown content files are supposed to generated into html-files. But it breaks on my Windows machine when it's supposed to split the markdown into meta and content.

One of these lines in splitMarkdownMetaData.js might be wrong but I can't tell:

if (str[i] == '\n'){
   if (/^\-+$/.test(line)){

Anyone got an idea?

/ Tor

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:18:35 AM UTC+2, Tor wrote:
Hi all

I've been stuggling to build the new MooTools website (https://github.com/mootools/website) on my Windows machine.

I'm making this thread because I want help but also so that anyone else who might to want to do the same thing can find information about it.

I'm having a hunch that my problems are Windows related but if someone is running the website on a Windows box and haven't had the problems I'm having please reply so that I can rule that out.

Re: [Moo] Re: Building the new MooTools website

Arian Stolwijk-2
Awesome that you've come so far. This is to the point I came when trying it out on windows.

Perhaps on windows there is a `\r\n` so it never matches.
Maybe you can try /^\-+(\r)?$/

Thanks and let me know if it works or not.

Tor

Re: [Moo] Re: Building the new MooTools website

Tor
Yes that did the trick.

The website looks great by the way. There was been so many iterations, I don't even know which is which, but it runs now!

The only two problems I had was the ones we've just solved.
  1. I had to add an environment variable PYTHON with the value D:\Python27\Python.exe.
  2. splitMarkdownMetaData.js had to be changed to take \r\n into account.
Adding D:\Python27\ to PATH didn't work for me. Perhap adding D:\Python27\Python.exe to PATH does work but that doesn't look right to me.

The installation notes in the README.md is information enough in all other considerations.
If you want a tutorial I can copy the entire segment from the README.md but I think that would be a disservice.

/ Tor Viktorsson

Tor

Re: [Moo] Re: Building the new MooTools website

Tor
You're awesome Arian!
You did the update before I manage to write my answer to your last post.

Thanks for the help!

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Tor <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="0z-6H5oqhaYJ">tor.vik...@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim Wienk
Firstly, thanks again for trying things out and reporting the problems.

Regarding the Python problem, I guess setting up Python (or NodeJS for
that matter) correctly is a bit out of scope for the MooTools Website
project, but perhaps a note would be in order. The "PATH" environment
variable is generally a list of directories in which to find
executables, so adding just the directory should do it, but I'm not
too experienced with developing on Windows anyway.

Regarding the splitMarkdownMetaData.js, could you try if it works
unchanged now? The regular expression is changed slightly, if it works
on Windows systems now without adding an explicit carriage return
check, that'd be nice.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tor

Re: [Moo] Re: Building the new MooTools website

Tor
Yes, it works now. I did an entirely new build from scratch using the instructions in the README and it worked flawlessly this time.

I also agree that my path problem is in the domain of Node.js knowledge since the error I got manifested itself in the node-gyp build tool which is native to Node.js yes?

/ Tor